by Cliff Robertson Jr.
This book is historical fiction, as well as a mystery and detective story about a family that died horrible and mysteriously in 1853, while transporting coal down the Delaware and Hudson Canal. One hundred and sixty years later people in the Tri-State area (New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania) begin dying in the same manner and the problem is spreading. If the scientists, local police and museum directors cannot solve this puzzle in a few days, the government will be forced to decimate the area. But to solve the mystery of the present they must uncover the secrets of the past. Cliff Robinson Jr. lives in Westtown, NY with his wife Sally and daughter Autumn. An avid historian and hiker, he has combined these interests in trying to preserve what is left of the historic Delaware and Hudson Canal.
This book can be obtained from the 1863 Schoolhouse Order Form and at Town Hall, Huguenot, New York with a Donation of $16.95
The Journal of the Records of Peter E. Gumaer 1771-1869
by Lucile G. Ogden, Author and Publisher
These records are excerpts from the original surveys, maps, ledgers and personal papers of Peter E. Gumaer. This is a collection of authenticated material relating to Peenpack, the oldest inland permanent settlement of Europeans in Orange County, New York. The introduction includes Gumaer's biography from his birth in 1771 until his death in 1869. Lucile G. Ogden is the great granddaughter of Peter E. Gumaer. She researched the Gumaer records which had been given to the Minisink Valley Historical Society, Port Jervis, New York by her grandfather, Peter L. Gumaer.
This book can be obtained from the 1863 Schoolhouse Order Form and at Town Hall, Huguenot, New York with a Donation of $20.00
Town of Deerpark
Written by Norma Schadt
Timeline Murals by Susan Miiler
Deerpark's whole story from Glacial Rock to Hard Rock, from before the ice age through the stone age, the eras of the Lenape, the D&H Canal and the steam train, right up to what concerns a couple of students at Port Jervis today. As they'd say "Awesome".
The book is a lively Timeline Companion to 17 large folk-art style paintings included in color plates in the book and on exhibit at the 1863 Schoolhouse, The Town of Deerpark Museum, which is directed by the author.
This book can be obtained from the 1863 Schoolhouse Order Form and at Town Hall, Huguenot, New York with a Donation of $19.95 for a soft cover and $39.95 for a Hard cover.
Deerpark – Images of America
Written by Brian J. Lewis
B ounded by three rivers and a mountain range, the town of Deerpark lies in the southwestern corner of Orange County. Once the frontier of America, the area took its name from what early settlers called their neighbor's fenced tract: McDaniel's Deer Park. The town has seven hamlets of Cahoonzie, Cuddebackville, Godeffroy, Huguenot, Rio, Sparrowbush, and Westbrookville, shaped and identified by their geography.
Deerpark highlights a community that has what is believed to be the oldest one-hundred-mile road in the country, the Old Mine Road. Appearing in this pictorial history are the Delaware and Hudson Canal, which transformed the town, and the railroad, which spawned a thriving resort industry.
Also shown are filmmaker D.W. Griffith, who between 1909 and 1911 made silent movies using the mountains and rivers as a backdrop, and many ancestors of present-day residents.
About the Author: Historian Brian J. Lewis has selected more than two hundred images from the archives of the Minisink Valley Historical Society, the Deerpark Historian's Office, the Neversink Valley Area Museum, as well as from private sources and his own collection. He has deep roots in the community, and his love for the town and its history is evident in Deerpark.
This book can be obtained from the 1863 Schoolhouse Order Form and at Town Hall, Huguenot, New York with a Donation of $19.99
Newspaper History of the Road
Edited by Norma Schadt
The story of the Hawk's Nest Road begins in the 1800s when the citizens of the Delaware River community of Mongaup literally found themselves up the creek. Cutoff from the larger town of Port Jervis by steep cliffs, the townspeople prevailed and a single lane dirt road was cut into the ridge. From this humble beginning the story chronicals how the road became The Upper Delaware Scenic byway so enjoyed by generations of visitors for spectaular views.
This book can be obtained from the 1863 Schoolhouse Order Form and at Town Hall, Huguenot, New York with a Donation of $10.00
© 2017 ~ 1863schoolhouse.org | All Rights Reserved | Phone: 845 856 2702 | Fax: 845 856 0935