The Huguenot Schoolhouse is one of the few brick, one-room schoohouses built in Orange County. Local Craftsman made the bricks from the clay found along the banks of the nearby Neversink river.
In 1961 the school closed and the building was used as a social hall by Huguenot Fire Company. After this it stood vacant for ten years. In 1996, a group of residents decided to pool their talents and along with New York State Grants through the offices of Senator Charles Cooke and Senator John Bonacic, they began restoration of the building. In 2001 the project was completed and the school re-opened.
The mission of the Town of Deerpark Museum is the acquisition, preservation, and restoration of artifacts for the purpose of documenting and interpreting the history of the town through exhibitions, educational programs and publications for children and adults.
© 2010 ~ 1863 schoolhouse | All Rights Reserved. | Phone: 845 856-2702 | Fax:845 856-0935